Discovering>™ SPACE (previously know as Solar System Explorer) is a free-form flight around SPACE. You take control of the ship and are free to travel anywhere you like and see anything you wish to see from the comfort of your purpose built VR spacecraft.
To bring in the new year, Discovering Space is now available for free. If you wish to support the future development of this, and other titles, please consider a donation – either through this site, or through paypal to email@example.com.
Note: A mirror of this download can be found here: https://mega.co.nz/#!tBQQHSQZ!TNa_ly1K37o39WSPVFUSq17LNuvBHqm3AFHScXFHpWA
Full User Guide here: discoveringDemoV2_manual
- Download and unzip “DiscoveringSpace_Demo2.zip” or “DiscoveringSpace_Release1.zip” to your preferred folder.
- If you have Norton anti-virus running, please make sure it doesn’t remove DiscoveringSpace_DirectToRift.exe when you unzip … it can identify this incorrectly.
- Please make sure you have “Direct HMD Access from apps” selected in the Rift Display Mode tool.
- Run: DiscoveringSpace_DirectToRift.exe (Do not put on the headset yet …)
- This will take you to the main menu where you can then launch the game.
- Run the game with LAUNCH > GO.
- Put on the headset.
For best control, it is recommended that you use an Xbox 360 controller or analog joystick. However, controls are also mapped to the keyboard. See the Xbox and keyboard png files in the game’s documentation folder for default mappings. If you wish to remap the controls, use the CONTROLS menu in the game start-up menu.
- Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 – make sure your firmware is at 2.12 or above.
- Oculus Rift Runtime – 0.4.3.1 or above (available from https://developer.oculus.com/downloads)
- Please ensure that you have correctly calibrated your Oculus Rift Headset for IPD, eye relief, and tracking camera position.
- Windows 64bit
Recommended (developer’s reference performance level): 75fps.
- CPU: i5 3.4 GHz (or above)
- GFX: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660Ti (or above)
- RAM: 16 Gb 8Gb (or above)
- Analog controller (ie Xbox 360 control pad)
Update: Release 6 – SDK 0.4.4 – Improved compatibility, more tweaks
- Updated to use SDK 0.4.4 for improved compatibility
- new passenger in the Shuttlestar (has a bit more character and realism).
- Further small graphical tweaks.
Note: Until the download link on this page is updated, the latest version can be downloaded directly from here…
Update: Release 5 – SDK 0.4.3.1 – Improved compatibility, performance and visual tweaks
- Updated to use SDK 0.4.3.1. for improved compatibility and buttery smooth visuals (timewarp enabled by default)
- Internal performance tweaks to ensure minimal stutter. (constant 75fps achievable on reference system)
- Small graphical tweaks (dashboard / shadows)
Already purchased Discovering > Space? You can download this new version by going into your Download History, then clicking the “Discovering > Space” file link. Easy!
Full Game: Release 4b – 17 Nov 2014:
- Added Comet 67P (with “hidden” Philae lander)
- Added jump-gate N2 (Neptune) to deep space objects N-001 & N-002 Nebulae
Full Game: Release 2 – 6 Nov 2014:
- New solar system to explore (select from the main menu / options screen)
- Voice narration for the in-game scanner / information display (select voice on/off from the main menu / options screen)
- some bug fixes – control remapping and others.
Full Game: Release 1 – 26 Oct 2014:
- New ships
- Launch Hangar
- Improved ship displays panels / interaction
- Performance optimisations
- User selectable game preferences (gfx effects)
- Numerous subtle improvements / effects
- The full solar system to explore – all planets, many moons, hidden objects.
- Unlimited range.
- Full use of jump-gate system.
- Full descriptive content – discover and learn as you go.
- Two spacecraft – single seater and full luxury ship with selectable passenger.
- More hidden objects to find.
Demo: 25 October 2014:
- Exploration limited to the local Earth and Moon system.
- Jump gates disabled.
This game is still under active development, so please report any issues to the developer.